Must Watch Movies- 2017
I've been on a movie marathon since the past few weeks what with such fabulous movies releasing in theatres. Also, cleared my backlog of movies I'd meant to watch in 2016 too. I've made a list of the Top 5 movies which I absolutely loved. Thought, I would write about them so that, those of you who haven't watched them, put it on your "To Watch" list. 😊
- Hidden Figures- It won the Oscars not for nothing! My most favorite movie so far and hence at the top of my list. The story is about three African American women who work at NASA- Katherine, Dorothy and Mary Jackson- three unsung heroes of history who were the brains behind one of the greatest space operations- the launch of an astronaut into the space orbit. Its a story of struggle, willpower and women empowerment. Most importantly, it's about lifting others up as you move forward. They value their families, colleagues and society and balance each one so well. Standing up for what is right and giving in so easily when it's helping someone. Don't miss this one!
- Erin Brockovich- This movie is based on a true story is about a single mother with three kids, who after following a car accident, takes up a relatively inconsequential job in a legal firm for low wages. A particular legal case interests her and after permission from her boss, she sets out to identify and delve deeper into the medical cases of community members of Hinkley, CA and a company by the name of Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E), who have a plant in Hinkley. After investigations, interviews and numerous trips to Hinkley for several months, Erin, takes up the responsibility to bring justice to the citizens of the town against the unethical business practice by PG&E. I was amazed at the sheer grit and determination shown by Erin and at the way she manages her family and the case, trying to balance both.
- A Dog's Purpose- This one stole my heart. 💛 The story is about a dog which reincarnates several times during the movie moving from one family to the other. In every life- the dog loves and only loves unconditionally. The best quote from the movie: "Have fun, obviously. Whenever possible, find someone to save and save them. Lick the ones you love. Don’t get all sad faced about what happened and scrunchy-faced about what could. Just be here now. Be. Here. Now. That’s a dog’s purpose." Warning: Carry a box of tissues!
- Dangal- Another true story- this one is about a former wrestler from India- Mahavir Singh Phogat and his determination to train his daughters in wrestling, a male sport in India. Mahavir, after having to drop out from wrestling in order to take up a job to feed his family, aspires to live his dream through his daughters, Geeta and Babita. Jeered by society, Mahavir does not give up, encouraging and forcing his daughters to train harder to become world class wrestlers. It is an inspirational story and makes one marvel when the girls win one title after another to become world champions!!
- Kahaani 2- I liked this one as it kept me glued on till the end. Vidya Balan has acted brilliantly as Vidya Sinha, a middle class working mother who lives in a small town near Kolkata with her daughter, Mini, who is paralysed from waist down. Watch this one only for Balan's acting!!
Would love to hear about your favorite movies too!! Do write in with your favorites.