Myanmar Diaries


I travelled to Yangon in Myanmar, a couple of weeks back. This was my second trip to the country. Being a work trip for just 3 days- both times, I couldn't do much. But I made sure to experience as much Burmese culture as possible within those 3 days! :-) 

Glimpses of Yangon



The thought of traveling to a new country is exciting. There's so much to experience and keep in mind. Sharing some experiences from Yangon here:

1.   First & the most important point- make sure to carry crisp dollar notes only. Any folded, coloured, faded notes will not be accepted. The visa officials are very strict and you might be denied a visa on arrival with no proper notes.



2.   You'll find beautiful gleaming pagodas on every street. Adorned with flowers and incense sticks, you'll find people praying here in the mornings and evenings.



3.   The Shwedagon Pagoda officially named Shwedagon Zedi Daw, is a must visit, if you're in Yangon. The golden hue is mesmerizing and the interiors are calming. The vast glittering structure is enchanting. Schedule to visit during the early morning hours to avoid the rush. I was lucky to be able to see it from my hotel room window too. 



4.  The people in Myanmar are warm and friendly. Though, only some understand English- a warm smile is the Universal language of love and people go out of their way to help you. 



5.  Coming to the food in Myanmar- if you love the Burmese cuisine in India, let me warn you, it is nothing like the food found in Myanmar. Something like Indian Chinese. Get it? During my first visit, I did not experiment too much and ate at the bigger hotels. (The fish items here are a must try!) During my second trip, I ate at some local joints and came down with a mysterious food allergy. Mysterious because I do not have any food allergies and haven't got one since childhood. Later speculated that the prawns might be to blame. Be careful while eating sea food at any of the local joints! Any dish/curry here is served with salad, accompanied with green tea. The meal finishes with jaggery, eaten as a dessert (healthy dessert!) 

 
A meal at a local joint in Yangon



6.   Mohinga is the official national dish of Myanmar. It is a rice noodle and fish soup. Again, not found in many restaurants but at street stalls. At every street corner, you’ll see people sitting on low stools gathered in groups, eating and chattering away.



7.   In Myanmar, you not only drink tea but also eat it! Lahpet is a dish made with pickled tea leaves, mixed with fried and raw garlic, sesame seeds, fried beans and green chillies. I loved it!

 
Lahpet



8.    Yangon has several pretty lakes. Make sure to visit at least one when in the city. 


9.   Bogyoke Aung San Market is a popular market in central Yangon. A shopper’s paradise- you’ll find everything from gem stones to longyi. I bought a few traditional longyi (a sarong style traditional Burmese attire) and some souvenirs.



10.  Mandalay, Bagan and some other places are a must visit too. More on them when I visit!

The country is rich with culture and gradually opening up to tourism and business. I hope to see more of it soon! Do share your experience if you’ve visited Myanmar. Look forward to hearing them…


Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jamshedpur- The Steel City

The Sands of Time..

"I dream, therefore I exist"